You know the saying: “Pregnancy makes women glow“. Most women can’t wait to see their skin change during pregnancy. Besides its psychological side, the pregnancy glow also has a valid biological explanation: it is actually a transformation caused by the changes and increase of hormones in the pregnant woman’s body. Many women often choose not to use beauty products during pregnancy because they are scared of the effects they might have on their unborn babies.
This is actually the safest way to go. But there are times during these nine months when a bit of makeup saves the day. For example, let’s say you have to attend an event: a friend’s or a relative`s wedding, a baptism, or maybe your workplace just requires you to be formal. You should know that there are beauty products that can be used safely during pregnancy. You just have to read their label carefully and choose them with care.
Although I am a person who uses makeup and skin products everyday, during the period I was pregnant with my baby girl I still wanted to look good, regardless the natural overall glow. So I tried to make a good selection of cosmetics to use safely. Below is a list of products and beauty tips you may find useful. These are only the products I personally tested and I warmly recommend.
- I never actually used foundation on a daily basis, not even before pregnancy. I normally use a light or medium CC Cream. When I was pregnant I replaced my old CC Cream brand with Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin CC Cream. It is hypoallergenic, fragrance free, dermatologist approved, gluten free and parabens free. It worked great with my light complexion, covering really well all the imperfections. I didn’t use it daily, only during the summer time – as it has SPF 20 protection – and on special occasions.
- I quit using my usual eye shadow. I replaced it with Ere Perez – Natural Creative Chamomile Eye Shadow Duo which was a great acquisition, free of harsh chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol, paraffin, lead, nano particles and others. However, I didn’t use it daily, either.
- I stuck with my mascara and I used it daily. I used this even before I got pregnant and I really liked it: Natural Organic Mascara by Endlessly Beautiful, Black – Vegan & Gluten Free. It is hypoallergenic and gentle for sensitive eyes, made with 100% natural and 85% organic ingredients. Alternatively to my daily mascara, I also used this: Biotin Infused Eyelash & Eyebrow Serum.
- I used my eyeliner pencil quite often. I bought my eyeliner – Black Eyeliner Pencil Makeup – 99% Natural & Vegan – after using the mascara made by the same brand: Shimarz Natural Collection.
- I didn’t use any lipstick, just a natural lip moisturizer from Mother’s Vault: Natural and Organic Beeswax Lip Balm. I tried all the flavors and I just loved the Honey Bee.
- For my nails I sometimes used Knocked Up Nails – Maternity Pregnancy Safe Nail Polish – Vegan & Gluten-Free, but mainly this transparent polish Piggy Paint SOPHi Shine Topcoat Nail Polish.
- For my whole body I used Sweet Almond Oil, plentifully: Sweet Almond Oil – 100% Pure & Natural Moisturizer from Head to Toe & Best Carrier Oil. It was totally worth it. My skin was smooth and soft and I managed to almost completely avoid those intrusive pregnancy stretch marks.
- On my belly I used Burt’s Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter, a cocoa, Shea and jojoba butter made especially for moms to be. This helped me a lot with those annoying belly itches.
So, these are the products I used. I tried to keep it all as natural as possible and look good, at the same time.
Are you pro or against makeup during pregnancy?
Did you use makeup during your pregnancy months? What products did you like best?